Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How I Relate To July, 1949

I feel that I can relate to this poem because it immediately reminded me of my mother. My mother was raised out in the country on a cotton field…literally! My grandmother would lay her on a small blanket underneath a tree while she and my aunts picked cotton underneath the scorching Sun. My mother grew up, like many other people in the South, working from Sunup to Sundown in the humid hot summer. All of my grandmother’s children grew up to lead good prosperous live. I have no doubt that they spent many hours laboring in that cotton field dreaming of escape!

I have, like so many of us, been through many hard and/or trying times during my life. I believe that this is a poem of hope that reminds us to look for salvation during those trying times. For me personally, when I have been through horrible times I have prayed for guidance and hope. I feel that I have always had my prayers answered and my life has been truly blessed! I have had to sacrifice a lot and work hard but it has all been worth it. There is always hope for those who wish to see it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Girl, is that a picture of your mother? If so she is beautiful!! My father also had to work out in the fields sun up to down down, however he worked in the tobbaco fields instead of cotton fields. Thank God I didn't have to do that because I think the work I do now is hard work!!

Nancy Reep said...

You really did alot with this assignment. I love your lay out. I realy enjoyed reading your blog you did a good job.

Gloria Montgomery said...

Poetry to me is also full of memories and thoghts. I also like Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, and Jack Prelustsky. I take the bad with the good in the sense that there are meanings in all poetry. I write childrens's poem and I would like to send you a copy when I have them in front of me. I like how you relate to poetry. I would love to read some more of the poems that you have written.

Aria said...

It's kind of neat that this poem hits home for you...I'm sure it was anything but "neat" for your mom to be out working in the fields (never fun), but it's cool that you can really relate to the situation laid out there.